Iranian Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology is aligned with COPE’s (Committee on Publication Ethics) best practice guidelines for dealing with ethical issues in journal publishing and adopts the COPE guidelines. The journal members (editor, editorial board and the journal manager) have agreed to meet the purposes and objectives of the Journal.
COPE membership number: JM13619 (COPE Link)
Ethical guidelines for authors
IJVST requires authors to confirm that they and their co-authors meet all four criteria for authorship based on the guidelines of The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (verbatim as follows):
- Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
- 2. Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
- 3. Final approval of the version to be published; AND
- 4. Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
The section “Author Contributions” in the manuscript should illustrate and clarify who contributed to the work and how. If a contributor does not meet all four above criteria should be acknowledged in the “Acknowledgements” section of the article.
Author agreements and conflict of interest:
Written authorization from all authors for publication of the article is mandatory for IJVST to start the review process. This form entitled “Conflict of interest declaration and author agreement form” must be signed and completed by all authors. This statement and signatures certifies that all authors have seen and approved the manuscript being submitted. Also, the authors by signing this form warrant that the article is the Authors’ original work, that the article has not received prior publication and is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, and that the corresponding author shall bear full responsibility for the submission.
Editors and members of editorial board as authors:
Editor and members of editorial board are excluded from publication decisions when they are authors or have contributed to a manuscript.
Open access policy:
Iranian Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology is a fully Open Access journal in which all the articles are available Open Access. There is no cost to the reader or author. Since all costs are covered by Ferdowsi University of Mashhad Press, there is no cost to the author, or through article processing charges. The article will be published under the Ferdowsi University of Mashhad Press open access policy. This means that the article will be made freely available online for non-commercial use immediately upon publication.
Authors are urged to thoroughly read and follow the guidelines for responsible publication from Second World Conference on Research Integrity [Wager E & Kleinert S (2011) Responsible research publication: international standards for authors. A position statement developed at the 2nd World Conference on Research Integrity, Singapore, July 22-24, 2010. Chapter 50 in: Mayer T & Steneck N (eds) Promoting Research Integrity in a Global Environment. Imperial College Press / World Scientific Publishing, Singapore (pp 309-16). (ISBN 978-981-4340-97-7)] and COPE guidelines for authors [How to handle authorship disputes: a guide for new researchers].
Ethical guidelines for Peer reviewers
Iranian Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology (IJVST) follows and adheres to COPE Ethical Guidelines for Peer Reviewers.
IJVST peer reviews all submitted manuscripts with contents in the scope of the journal. The process includes four stages.
Initial assessment: the structural format of the paper, quality of figures, and format of references are evaluated within 5 days from the time of submission.
Initial screen: the manuscripts are evaluated by editor and a member of editorial board (depending to the field of study) for the scope, sufficient originality, having a message that is important to the general field of Veterinary Medicine, quality of data, novelty, English language, and overall manuscript quality. This stage is performed within 2 weeks in order to not waste authors' time, allowing them to submit the manuscripts to another journal. Those manuscripts which are evaluated as not-appropriate in the initial review will be rejected at this stage. We aim to reach a first decision on all manuscripts within two or three weeks of submission.
External review: The manuscripts which are found to be appropriate after the initial screen, will be sent for external review by experts in the related field. We have prepared a checklist for reviewers that summarizes their evaluation of the manuscript. The items in this checklist are:
1. TITLE is clear and adequate
2. ABSTRACT clearly presents objects, methods and results.
3. INTRODUCTION well-structured and provides rationale for experiments described.
4. MATERIALS AND METHODS is sufficiently explained and is detailed enough to be reproduced.
5. RESULTS are clearly presented and supported by figures and tables.
6. DISCUSSION properly interprets the results and places the results into larger research context, and contains all important references.
7. Conclusions are logically derived from the data presented.
8. English Language/style/grammar is clear, correct, and unambiguous.
9. Figures and tables are in good quality and well-designed and clearly illustrate results of the study.
10. References are appropriate.
11. Regarding this article are you concerned for any issues relating to author misconduct such as plagiarism and unethical behavior.
12. Comments on the importance of article.
Final Decision: Based on reviewers' recommendations a final decision is made by the editor and if needed the help of a member of editorial board (depending to the field of study). Decisions will include accept, minor revision, major revision with and without re-review, and reject. We aim to reach a final decision on each manuscript as soon as their review results are available.
Ethical guidelines for Editor
Iranian Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology regarding the responsibilities of the editors follows and adheres to COPE Ethical Guidelines for editors.
The main guidelines are summarized in the guide to ethical editing from COPE.