This study investigated the effects of Aloe vera and Salvia officinalis extracts on hematological and haemato-biochemical parameters, histopathology, and resistance against hypoxia stress in Oncorhynchus mykiss. The rainbow trout (10 ± 0.1 g) were fed seven different diets supplemented with 0% (control), 0.5%, 1% and 1.5% of A. vera or S. officinalis extract for 30 days. The feeding in all treatments was continued for 2 weeks using control diet. The fish blood samples were collected on days 30th and 45th, and total red blood cells, hematocrit and hemoglobin were measured. The glucose and cortisol of serum were examined just before and one hour after hypoxia stress (3 mg L-1) at days 30th and 45th. The gill tissue samples were taken from all treatments for histopathological study at the end of experimental period. The S. officinalis (0.5%) treated group showed a significant increase (p< 0.05) in red blood cells, hematocrits and hemoglobin compared to control group. While the A. vera (1 and 1.5%) treatments revealed significant increase in hematocrit and hemoglobin concentration compared to the control group (p< 0.05). Moreover the glucose and cortisol levels of serum were increased significantly only in S. officinalis (0.5%) treated group after hypoxia stress on days 30th and 45th compared to the control group (p< 0.05). No serious histopathological changes were observed in any treatments and control group. Based on the results obtained, dietary S. officinalis (0.5%) hydroethanolic extract improved the haematological and haemato-biochemical parameters and increased the rainbow trout resistance against hypoxia stress.
Oncorhynchus mykiss, Herbal Extracts, Environmental Stresses, Hematology, Histopathology
2. Maqsoud S, Samoon MH, Singh P. Immunostimulatory and growth promoting effect of dietary levamisole in Cyprinus carpio fingerlings against the challenge of Aeromonas hydrophila. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 2009; 9: 111-120.
3. Ahmad MH, Mesallamy AMD, Samir F, Zahran F. Effect of cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) on growth performance, feed utilization, whole body composition, and resistance in Nile tilapia to Aeromonas hydrophila. Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 2011; 23: 289-298.
4. Subeena Begum S, Navaraj PS. Synergistic effect of plant extract supplemented diets on immunity and resistance to Aeromonas hydrophila in Mystus. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences, 2012; 2(4): 30-36.
5. Galina J, Yin G, Ardo L, Jeney Z. The use of immunostimulating herbs in fish. An overview of research. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 2009; 35: 669-676.
6. Zanuzzo FS, Biller-Takahashi JD, Urbinati EC. Effect of Aloe vera extract on the improvement of the respiratory activity of leukocytes of matrinxa during the transport stress. Revista Brasileira de Zootecnia, 2012; 41(10): 2299-2302.
7. Milenkovic MT, Bozic1 DD, Slavkovska VN, Lakusic BS. Synergistic Effects of Salvia officinalis L. Essential Oils and Antibiotics against Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Archives of Biological Sciences Belgrade, 2015; 67(3): 949-956.
8. Mahdavi M, Hajimoradloo A, Ghorbani R. Effect of Aloe vera extract on growth parameters of common carp (Cyprinus carpio). World Journal of Medical Sciences, 2013; 9(1): 55-60.
9. Khalil R, Li ZG. Antimicrobial activity of essential oil of Salvia officinalis L. collected in Syria. African Journal of Biotechnology, 2011; 10(42): 8397-8402.
10. Khare R, Upmanyu N, Jha M. Exploring the Potential Effect of Methanolic Extract of Salvia officinalis Against UV Exposed Skin Aging: In vivo and In vitro Model. Current Aging Science, 2019; 12: 1874-6098/19. DOI:10.2174/1874609812666190808140549
11. Yilmaz E, Coban D, Kirim B, Güler M. Effects of Extracts of Feed Additives Including Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) and Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis) on the Growth Performance and Feed Utility of Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology, 2019; 7(6): 866-870.
12. Tafi AA, Meshkini S, Tukmechi A, Alishahi M, Noori F. Immunological and Antistreptococcal Effects of Salvia officinalis and Aloe vera Extracts Supplemented Feed in Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Journal of Kafkas Universitesi Veteriner Fakultesi Dergisi, 2019; 24 (3): 365-370. DOI: 10.9775/kvfd.2017.18973
13. de Oliveira JR, Vilela PGDF, Almeida RBA, de Oliveira FE, Carvalho CAT, Camargo SEA, et al. Antimicrobial activity of noncytotoxic concentrations of Salvia officinalis extract against bacterial and fungal species from the oral cavity. General Dentistry, 2019; 67(1): 22-26. PMID: 30644826
14. Jabeen G, Manzoor F, Javid A, Azmat H, Arshad M, Fatima S. Evaluation of Fish Health Status and Histopathology in Gills and Liver Due to Metal Contaminated Sediments Exposure. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 2018; 100(4): 492-501.
15. Zorriehzahra MJ, Hj Mohd Daud H, Sharifpour I, Soltani M, Mehrabi MR, Kies F, et al. Histopathology survey of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fry mortality syndrome in coldwater hatcheries and reared farms in Iran. Journal of Survey in Fisheries Sciences, 2018; 4(2): 58-72.
16. Alishahi M, Ranjbar MM, Ghorbanpour M, Peyghan R, Mesbah M, Razi Jalali M. Effects of dietary Aloe vera on some specific and none specific immunity in the common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Iranian Journal of Veterinary Research, 2010; 4: 189-195.
17. Heidarieh M, Mirvaghefi AR, Sepahi A, Sheikhzadeh N, Shahbazfar AA, Akbari, M. Effects of Dietary Aloe Vera on Growth Performance, Skin and Gastrointestine Morphology in Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 2013; 13: 367-373.
18. Bolu SA, Babalola TO, Elelu, N, Ahmed RN, Oyetunde SA, Ademola PF, Jiddah SA. Effects of supplemental Aloe vera gel in drinking water on some performance histology, hematology, serum constituents and growth of turkey poults challenged with Escherichia coli. Wudpecker Journal of Agricultural Research, 2013; 2: 223-229.
19. Zomorodian K, Ghadiri P, Saharkhiz MJ. Antimicrobial activity of seven essential oils from Iranian aromatic plants against common causes of oral infections. Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology, 2015; 8(2): 1-6.
20. Haghighi M, Sharif Rohani M, Samadi M, Tavol M, Eslami M, Yusefi, R. Study of effects Aloe vera extract supplemented feed on hematological and immunological indices of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). International Journal of Advanced Biological and Biomedical Research, 2014; 2(6): 2143-2154.
21. Farahi A., Kasiri M, Sudagar M, Soleimani Iraei M, Zorriehzahra SMJ. Effect of dietary supplementation of Melissa Officinalis and Aloe Vera on haematological traits, lipid oxidation of carcass and performance in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus Mykiss). Online journal of animal and feed research, 2012; 1: 1-5.
22. Haukenes AH, Barton BA, Bolligs H. Cortisol responses of pallid sturgeon and yellow perch following challenge with lipopolysaccharide. Journal of Fish Biology, 2008; 72: 780-784.
23. Tea J, Alderman SL, Gilmour KM. Social stress increases plasma cortisol and reduces forebrain cell proliferation in subordinate male zebrafish (Danio rerio). Journal of Experimental Biology, 2018; 194894. doi: 10.1242/jeb.194894.
24. Martinez-Porchas M, Martinez-Cordova LR, Ramos-Enriquez R. Cortisol and Glucose: Reliable indicators of fish stress. Pan-American Journal of Aquatic Sciences, 2009; 4(2): 158-178.
25. Taiwo VO, Olukunle OA, Ozor IC, Oyejobi AT. Consumption of aqueous extract of raw Aloe vera Leaves: histopathological and biochemical studies in rat and tilapia. African Journal of Biomedical Research, 2005; 8: 169–178.
26. Iwama GK, Afonso LOB, Vijayan MM. Stress in fishes. In: Evans, DH; Claiborne, JB; (Eds.), The Physiology of fishes. 3th edition, 2006; Taylor and Francis, New York, USA, PP. 319-342.
27. Hoshiba MA, Goncalves FD, Urbinati EC. Physiological stress responses of matrinxa (Brycon amazonicus) after chasing. Acta Amazonica, 2009; 39: 445-452.
28. Zodape GV. Effect of Aloe vera juice on toxicity induced by arsenic in Labeo rohita (Hamilton). Journal of Applied and Natural Science, 2010; 2(2): 300-304.
29. Kushwaha MP. Effects of Aloe vera (Liliaceae) on Gonad development in Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus (L.) during intensive aquaculture. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies, 2013; 1(2): 56-60.
30. Hussein HJ, Hameed IH, Hadi MY. Using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) technique for analysis of bioactive compounds of methanolic leaves extract of Lepidium sativum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017; 10(11): 3981-3989.
31. Meshkini S, Tafy AA, Tokmechi A, Farhangpajou F. Effect of Chitosan on hematological parameters and stress resistance in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Veterinary Research Forum, 2012; 3(1): 49-54.
32. Jalali MA, Ahmadifar E, Sudagar M, Azari Takami G. Growth efficiency, body composition, survival and hematological changes in great sturgeon (Huso huso Linnaeus, 1758) juveniles fed diets supplemented with different levels of Ergosan. Aquaculture Research, 2009; 40(7): 804-809.
33. Davis KA, Maney DL, Maerz JC. The use of leukocyte profile to measure stress in vertebrates: a review ecologists. Functional Ecology, 2008; 22: 760-772.
34. Camargo MMP, Martinez CBR. Histopathology of gills, kidney and liver of a neotropical fish caged in an urban stream. Neotropical Ichthyology, 2007; 5(3): 327-336.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.